What is Pain?
MARCH 21, 2022
Hello everyone, it's Dr. Aaron Seaton with The Chiropractic Place. Today's video is about, 'what is pain?' So, it's a good thing for us to understand. When they have pain, a lot of people are looking for a way to get rid of it. But over time, people need to understand really what it is. Pain is about 2% of what goes on in your nerve system. The other 98% is about function, how your body is functioning. So yes, we've all been in pain where we want to get rid of pain, but the pain is not the best indicator of health, it's a very poor indicator of where your health is, and if you're only concerned about your health when you're in pain, we have to talk about how health really works. So, pain definitely can be a warning sign that something is going on with our body. You get neck pain shooting down the arms, and something's going on here. I see this a lot in my chiropractic office. There's a subluxation in there, a bone not moving, pressing on that nerve, choking off that nerve flow down the arm into other parts of the body.
So yes, when we get these warning signs, we're very motivated to take care of this. But it's very important that after we address that warning sign, we discuss, hopefully, that patient is open to hearing about certain needs for change. If we take x-rays and we're showing some signs of wear and tear in the neck or some curvature issues, the pain is usually the first thing to leave when you start taking care of somebody, and once that warning sign is gone, are you still going to be motivated for change? We have to correct that underlying problem because that problem is still there whether or not you're feeling the pain. So what we do in our office is we obviously, first and foremost, let's help you, let's get out of pain, but we need to think long-term here about your spinal health and the health of your nerve system because your nerve system is what governs everything in your body, and your spine is what protects your nerve system. If the spine is out of alignment, it can pressure your nerve system, and it can choke off that communication from the brain to the body. That's not good.
Sometimes you feel that and sometimes you don't. Like I can go to the dentist, sometimes I feel a cavity when it's really bad, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes your dentist will say, "You have a cavity," and you won't even know you have it. So just like that, just like the dentist does their job, their due diligence, checking your teeth to make sure you're healthy, your chiropractor's job is to do their due diligence and check your spine and nerve system and make sure that that is functioning optimally, not just chasing pain. So chiropractic and healing, we just discussed a little bit about that.
Chiropractic care, yes, it can help with the pain, help get rid of the warning signs, but long term, we always encourage our patients, we want to have some kind of regular maintenance of your spine to keep your spine working properly so that your nerve system can govern your body properly. Remember, it controls everything. It controls your immune system, it controls your heart, it controls your lungs, it controls all your muscles, it controls your digestion. All of that is regulated through your nerve system. So keeping up on your chiropractic care is not just designed to help with pain, but it is designed to help keep your body in a functioning state, in a state of healing, and to do that regularly means you have to get out of your head that you're only coming here for pain, but you are coming here to keep your nerve system functioning at its very best. I'm Dr. Aaron Seaton with The Chiropractic Place.
*The transcription is auto-generated by a program and may not be accurate. In order to ensure you get all the information from the video properly, you must watch the video.